Comparative Essay – MGT4303.
Comparative Essay – MGT4303 (25%)
Due beginning of class in Week 10
This essay will compare and contrast your own LinkedIn profile with someone else’s. Choose a professor, upper year student, industry leader or other person with a robust profile. The profile you use for comparison should be one you can learn from and that will help you form recommendations for improving your own profile.
- Your introduction should provide a thesis, and then declare which profiles are being compared, and which three to five criteria of comparison will be used. Make sure the criteria for comparison and why you chose them are clear in the introduction.
- Your body should compare and contrast the two profiles using the point by point or block method of comparison explained in class.
- Your recommendations should show how you can improve your own profile based on the comparison. The focus should be on immediate improvements you can make by including additional elements, but you may also include experience you would like to gain.
- Your criteria for comparison and recommendations should take into account what you have learned about selling yourself and building an online presence from Beyond a Resume and from the student presentations.
- Your conclusion should summarize your main points and restate your thesis.
- Your essay should be 1500-2000 words long.
Include a cover page with the following information:
- Your name
- Professor Name
- Course Name
Your essay should be in 12 point font, single spaced, with paragraphs of a maximum of ten lines.
A Human Resources Management (HRM) student will interview you for the same job that is being used in the Mock Interview assignment. The job description is attached here. The HRM student is responsible for designing and executing the interview including the following:
- scheduling the interview,
- designing the questions,
- conducting the interview, and
- submitting a report to the HRM professor.
You are responsible for the following:
- provide your CV to the student, and cooperate in scheduling the interview
- attend the interview with the student,
- submit the practice interview student feedback form within 24 hours of your interview by e-mailing it to me . Note that one to two sentences is required in the comments column for each row of the form.
- The feedback form is due before class in Week 13.
Grading: You will be graded primarily on your completion of the student feedback form, but one mark out of five will be deducted if you do not respond to the HRM student promptly to schedule the interview or show up for the interview at the scheduled time.