Clearly explain your opinion on the labeling of GM salmon.
GM Foods Written Assignment (due 1/2)
HW DUE Jan/2/2018 2PM Los Angeles Time Zone
Must be at least 1 page without the resource page
When it comes to labeling the food we consume there are generally two approaches. A product can be labeled when something has been added (ex. Vitamin D Milk) or when something is not present (ex. Gluten-free). Clearly explain your opinion on the labeling of GM salmon. What type of labeling, if any, should be required? Should this labeling be voluntary or mandatory? Your explanation should discuss the current labeling recommendations for GM foods in general and GM salmon specifically, and the rationale behind these recommendations (this means you will need to do a little research – be careful to use reliable sources).
Here’s an article with an overview of GM salmon to get you started
7 Things You Need to Know about GMO Salmon found at http://time.com/4120648/fda-approved-aquabounty-gmo-salmon/
Biology 101 Writing Assignment Guidelines
The written assignments are designed to provide opportunities for the student to find, evaluate, select, synthesize, organize, cite, and present information and arguments clearly and effectively for understanding scientific issues on personal, societal, and global levels. This requirement is designed to help students achieve the University-wide Student Learning Outcomes (UPS 300.003) specifically to “communicate clearly, effectively, and persuasively, both orally and in writing”. (See: http://www.fullerton.edu/senate/publications_policies_resolutions/ups/UPS%20300/UPS%20300.003.pdf )
It is important that your assignments are thoroughly researched and clearly written. You should define all your terms and be concise. These assignments are designed to give you the experience of applying your knowledge of biology to a current controversy or topic of interest. You will use the same sort of method that you will later use as an informed citizen and consumer when making decisions that involve biology. You should review the relevant chapters in your textbook, other course materials and use other sources to fill in missing information when necessary.
- Be sure to cover the points mentioned in each individual assignment and define all technical terms that you use in your own words. Your paper needs to be written so the average person can understand it.
- You are encouraged to use first and/or second person in all of these writing assignments.
- Your paper must be between 1/2 -1page (not including references). The second page is only for the complete references of the material cited in your paper. Any portion of your text on the second page will not be read or graded. Your paper should be double-spaced with one-inch margins, using 12 point Times New Roman font. No cover page or heading is required (the body of your paper should begin on the first line of the first page).
- You are not allowed to include any quotes in your paper. . You must properly paraphrase ideas from the literature, even if you provide an in-text citation.
- Information and ideas that are properly paraphrased must be accompanied by proper in-text citations in the body of your paper and a corresponding reference in American Psychological Association (APA) format. Note: only the references need to be in APA, other APA formatting items (such as a title page) should not be included.
- You need to review your paper for format, spelling, grammar and usage errors before you submit it, or you will lose points.
- Please also review the grading rubric before submitting your paper to make sure that you have done everything you can to receive a good grade.