Advanced Corporate Reporting Case Study.
- General information of the case study
- This case study is an individual It is worth 30% of your final mark.
- The word limit of this assignment is 3,000 maximum (excluding the reference list, footnote and, appendices). It should be no less or more than 5% of the word limit using 1.5 spacing.
- A sample format of the report is shown in Appendix 1. You must use the provided structure to complete this assignment.
- The deadline for the assignment is 4pm, Friday, 4 May 2018. You need to include your name and student id on the assignment as well as on the cover sheet for your assignment. A hard copy of your assignment will need to be date/time stamped, and submitted in your lecturer’s mailbox AND, submitted electronically via Blackboard by the due date.
- Please note that your assignment will be submitted to Turnitin, as a deterrent to plagiarism.
- Your tasks
- You are required to analyse a designated case (refer to the journal paper, Representing the market perspective: fair value measurement for non-financial assets (Barker and Schulte, 2017), Accounting, Organization and Society, 56 pp. 55-67) and answer the following questions:
- What is the main contemporary financial reporting issue in the case and why?
- What are the main differences between ‘accounting as history’ and accounting as economic’?
- Describe the 3 levels of inputs that can be used in valuing an item under IFRS 13.
- Describe the main theory employed by the author. Why do the authors believe this theory relate to the study?
- What is the objective of the fieldwork conducted by the authors?
- Describe the research design of this study (i.e. research method, sample)
- What are the main findings of this research paper?
- What are the implications in accounting from this research paper?
- Identify one limitation of this research paper.
- Prepare the assignment in report format based on the requirements in the marking guide.
Provide a list of the publication details of all materials referred to in the report. More information on the Chicago referencing style can be obtained from the Curtin library website: http://libguides.library.curtin.edu.au/content.php?pid=141214&sid=1212910
- Marking Criteria
- The assignment will be assessed on the content, completeness of information, appropriateness of format, grammar, and spelling and other additional information deemed relevant in relation to the issues. Refer to the marking guide for the breakdown of marks (refer Appendix 1). The marking guide is given to you as it is part of the requirement of the assignment that you demonstrate an understanding of how the issues should be addressed. Please make sure your report covers all requirements in the marking guide.
|Overall formatting/Grammar/Spelling/Words limit|
|The title made clearly and reflects the content well|
|· The objective of your report is made clearly|
|· The introduction is relevant and informative|
Answers to the questions
|a) What is the main contemporary financial reporting issue in the case and why?|
|b) What are the main differences between ‘accounting as history’ and accounting as economic’?|
|c) Describe the 3 levels of inputs that can be used in valuing an item under IFRS 13.|
|d) Describe the main theory employed by the author. Why do the authors believe this theory relate to the study?|
|e) What is the objective of the fieldwork conducted by the authors?|
|f) Describe the research design of this study (i.e. research method, sample)|
|g) What are the main findings of this research paper?|
|h) What are the implications in accounting from this research paper?|
|i) Identify one limitation of this research paper.|
|Appropriateness of conclusion|
|Citations and references in correct format|
|Total marks (15 items x 5 = 70 full marks)|
|Total score (30%)|
- Scale of 0 to 5 for each criterion where
0 – Completely inadequate/incorrect/incomplete; 1 – Inadequate/incorrect/incomplete
2 – Partly adequate/correct/complete; 3 – Almost adequate/correct/complete;
4 – Adequate/correct/complete; 5 – Completely adequate/correct/complete
Points/Areas to consider (Note they may not all be applicable, however there is a reason these are the topics we will be going through each week)
- The Conceptual Framework
- Standard Setting
- Fair Value Accounting
- Productions of the Financial Reporting Process
- Earnings Management
- Capital Market Research and Accounting